M.A.M.I. music theory
of the Matrix Approach...
Be prepared for creativity
- What it is...
to Music Improvisation is a different way of viewing music.
It is a guide to musical scalar
implications and their potentially creative applications.
is a concept which was devised as the result of years of experimentation
- and analysis
in the quest to evaluate the melodic plus harmonic possibilities of subject
scales easily, quickly, and logically.
- Developed basically to help eliminate musical "ruts"
and expand a performer's improvisational boundaries.
- For the sake of understanding,
before we go further with our explanation about what M.A.M.I. is, let me tell you what
it is not.
- What it is not!
- M.A.M.I is not a musical instruction "method".
- It does not tell you how to play
musical tunes, licks, lines or even styles.
Not like me, or any of your favorite
artists for that matter.
- The Matrix Approach is somewhat of a departure
from traditional approaches and thought processes!
- Plenty of great books exist regarding
traditional "method" studies.
- I would not want you to purchase a
Atlas if you expect, desire, or need this type of instruction.
- Okay...so what is it then?
The Matrix Approach to Music Improvisation
is a unique system which gives you visual tools that can be used
- and improvise music regardless of style, independent of method. It
can be used to support any method of study
as well as playing style, or ability
level with the challenges of musical composition or improvisation.
- Do I need to read music to use
Because M.A.M.I. is designed to
develop creative independence, it consciously avoids the specific limitations of traditional
"method" based approaches and focuses on the logical evaluation and use of
scales as well as modes.
- By using an eight -way integrated visual layout to fully
explore the musical potential of these elements, the Matrix Approach
allows related harmonies and melodies to be referenced and
used creatively in your music.
- How does it do this?
- M.A.M.I. is derived from three
- 1. Melodic and harmonic movements
are the majority of most musical compositional content.
The power of harmony and melody in music can inspire us,
provoke, and evoke our emotions throughout an
- infinite range when
used consciously as well as creatively.
- 2. Scales and their modes form
the basis for the generation of harmonic and melodic action.
- Conversely and given this fact, we can associate chords (harmonies) and lines (melodies)
with parent scales
- for any given musical
movement containing these elements.
- 3. The effects (feelings and emotions)
generated by these elements are the result of a musical scale's sonic
- This can and should be controlled and used
purposely. Just as a painter can convey, evoke and control
- well as emotions through the use of color in paintings a musician (composer or
improviser) can do the same using scalar "color".
- This is important to note, as
we then realize the boundless, infinite nature of music, which awaits our creation.
- The Matrix Approach provides a
logical and simple basis for understanding and interpreting scalar musical
- in terms of harmony and melody for the purpose of creative improvisation
- M.A.M.I. helps you find and use
the material to develop your "own" tunes.
Your "own" lines, find your own
- So, break out of "ruts" and
- Find new ideas, and stop playing like your teacher,
or even like your favorite player:
a M.A.M.I. Scale Atlas...and become "your" favorite player!
on the M.A.M.I. Scale Atlas concept
what they have said...
your free 135 page M.A.M.I. Scale Atlas sample plus ordering info
here for the MAMI Index page)